From Realtors to bloggers to HGTV, we all hear about the need to get creative to attract prospective buyers to home listings. If you are preparing to sell your home this season it is important to remember that buyers often cannot see past personal taste and distractions when touring a home – and how easy it is to get your home in the best shape possible.
In the National Association of Realtors’ new 2015 Profile of Home Staging, 96 percent of Realtors who have experience assisting buyers thought that staging had an impact on buyers at least some of the time. Not only are the visual results dramatic, the financial results are proven to help sellers beat the market.
Tips to remember when getting ready to sell your home:
- Remove clutter, photos and kids art from the mantle, refrigerator and tabletops.
- Hang new and fresh artwork to help simplify décor.
- Pack up unnecessary items and furniture before you show the house.
- This includes furniture that blocks any walkways, is unnecessary or is oversized and may make a room appear smaller.
- Stage rooms for their intended purposes.
- Remove extra items from countertops and the floor.
- Clean up
- Make any outstanding repairs.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint
- Clear all windows, allowing for the best views and most light to enter.
- Replace worn carpets or rugs
- Unpleasant smells like cigarettes, pets, or litter boxes can be an immediate turn off to buyers.
- Remember the importance of curb appeal; add blooming flowers near the front door and trim the landscaping and grass.
- Make sure all lights are working and have new bulbs.
- New appliances, fixtures, cabinets, and countertops always appeal to buyers.
When preparing to list your home and take professional photos, take a few snapshots of your home first. This will give you a good idea of what the camera can capture, and what buyers may see as distracting. Most buyers will view photos and listings online before viewing a property in person. If you find items or blemishes distracting chances are buyers will have the same reaction when viewing your home’s professional photos.
The Forest Highlands Realty team are experts at marketing homes and our community, and are a great resource to turn to when preparing to sell and stage your home. Please reach out to our team if we can be of service.